Mysore Medical College, Mysore, first institution of its kind in Karnataka & 7th in the country founded by His Highness Krishnarajendra Wodeyar IV, Since its inception in 1924, it remained the sole institution imparting Medical Education in the erstwhile state of Mysore for more than 3 decades. The alumni of the college are doing yeomen service to sick and needy in the Country and Abroad. They have brought laurels both to the college and to the country. Other Medical Colleges that sprang up later have been flourishing under the leadership of the alumni of this college. Thus we could claim that this institution is the mother of all other medical colleges in the state.
The college was established in 1924 at Bangalore, was affiliated to Mysore University. In 1930 it was shifted to Mysore and was under the dual control of University of Mysore and Government of Mysore. In 1958, Health department of Government of Mysore took over the complete administration. This prestigious institution celebrated its Platinum Jubilee in December 1999. The most memorable event of this Millenium is the construction of Platinum Jubilee Auditorium with the generous contributions from the Alumni who are residing in North America.
The Government, subsequently, to streamline the recruitment process, accorded Autonomous state to the institute and renamed the college as ?Mysore Medical College & Research Institute? in the month of January 2007. By this method, it is proposed to recruit the staff to the institute so as to meet MCI requirements and also to enhance the intake capacity.